Jacobson, Goldfarb & Scott, Inc. (JGS Insurance) was established 100 years ago as an Independent Insurance Agency that is privately owned. Our goal is to assure that our customers are receiving the most comprehensive and competitive programs in terms of cost, coverage and service. We are now recognized as the largest independently owned insurance company in the state of New Jersey.
JGS Insurance, located in Holmdel, New Jersey is growing rapidly and as a result has an opportunity for a new D&O Underwriter. Our new office in Bell Works truly reflects an innovative and exciting environment with state-of-the-art surroundings. Bell Works is the reanimation of Bell Labs into a ‘metroburb.’ The building has evolved into a two-million-square-foot ecosystem filled with business, dining, culture, and more – all conveniently located in central New Jersey. Bell Works was recently named the most iconic building in the State of New Jersey by Architectural Digest magazine and coined “the coolest office building in N.J.” by NJ.com.
This position is responsible for the underwriting, rating, quoting, binding, issuance and servicing of accounts as assigned to them, in a prompt, courteous and professional manner. This includes providing necessary support for the overall production and profit objectives of the company’s program and core business needs.
- Maintain a thorough understanding and knowledge of all insurance products relating to assigned accounts.
- Maintain a thorough understanding and knowledge of all internal departmental and carrier partner procedures.
- Maintain a thorough understanding and knowledge of all items in Underwriting Guidelines; including underwriting and rating changes.
- Refer accounts to carrier partners when risks do not adhere to established underwriting parameters.
- Respond to all broker inquires in a professional and timely manner.
- Review and process all incoming mail for assigned accounts.
- Document all correspondence and phone calls in the agency management system.
- Underwrite accounts in compliance with internal and carrier partner guidelines; discuss internally with colleagues and management, risks that do not adhere to established underwriting guidelines for possible referral to carrier(s).
- Recognize and solicit cross-sell opportunities on new and renewal accounts beyond D&O and ensure account is handled appropriately across all coverage lines.
- Market accounts to alternative carriers when necessary, and monitor status of quotes to make sure “need by date” is met.
- Quote accounts and present timely proposals to brokers.
- Proactively contact agent/brokers to determine status of open items (quotes, bind requests, endorsements, etc.) and effectuate final resolution of those items.
- Review bind requests and binding documents received from brokers, to assure adherence to applicable program requirements.
- Request and effectuate issuance of policies, endorsements and other documents as requested by broker.
- Process legal notices (non-renewal, cancellation or other); while adhering to all state, company or carrier rules.
- Maintain positive relationships with appropriate agents, brokers and carrier partner representatives through proper contacts and effective communication.
- Provide assistance to company Tech Support team, Underwriting Assistants or Carrier Partner Underwriters as necessary to effectuate policy or endorsement processing.
- Respond to Live Chat system inquiries.
- Able and willing to travel within the United States (1-2 times per year).
- Share new company information/changes with department and work collaboratively within department and with management in areas including competitor benchmarking, customer feedback and other pertinent underwriting issues.
- Adhere to all ethical and State Insurance Department guidelines and procedures.
- Participate in seminars and other training to maintain required licenses and for knowledge and skill development in a timely manner (minimum 45 days prior to expiration).
- Report to manager needs for updates to websites, letters and training.
- Perform other duties as requested at the discretion of management.
- Education: college degree preferred. High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Valid New Jersey Property & Casualty Producer license.
- Knowledge of Professional Liability / Directors and Officers Liability Insurance and Products is essential.
- Excellent knowledge of computer systems and operations.
- Good listening skills and attention to detail.
- Professional designation is a plus.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org